Morning Soak 4X More Likely to Happen Than
Anticipated by Non-Owners
VISTA, Calif., FEBRUARY 24, 2015 – Hot Spring®, the only brand to sell more than one million hot tubs, has completed a new survey on consumer perceptions and real-life uses of hot tubs from more than 700 respondents. Results from the survey indicate that hot tub owners cite the wellness benefits of a personal spa more frequently than non-owners expect.
Major differences in how non-owners anticipate they would use a hot tub versus what actually transpires for owners include:
- More than 89 percent of non-owners would expect to use a hot tub during weekends or after work combined. In actuality, weekends and after work are cited by only 53.8 percent of hot tub owners. (note: respondents were able to select more than one response option for this question)
- The single most popular time for owners to hot tub is right before bedtime: 44.7 percent. This exceeds the 31.6 percent anticipated by non-owners.
- Twice as many owners (13 percent) consider the installation of a hot tub an investment in their home, versus non-owners (6.3 percent) with that perception.
- 10.7 percent of owners are likely to partake in a “first thing in the morning” soak, contrasted with only 2.3 percent of non-owners considering that a likely option.
The recently completed survey also highlights that the physical and mental benefits of a personal spa are transforming the hot tub into a wellness appliance. Relaxation/stress relief was far and away the primary reason to own a hot tub, cited by 64.5 percent of non-owners and 83.9 percent of owners. Other health-related reasons (respondents could select more than one option) for hot tubbing include:
- Better sleep: noted by 33.3 percent of owners; 18.3 percent by non-owners.
- Improved recovery from exercise: 49 percent of owners selected this option, compared to 34.8 percent of non-owners.
- Recuperating from injury: 20 percent by non-owners; 22.4 percent of owners.
Despite the fact that 98 percent of respondents claim wellness is “somewhat” to “extremely important” – less healthy habits clearly remain part of today’s lifestyles. Findings include:
- By far, the most popular habit for unwinding was “drinking an adult beverage” selected by 19.3 percent of non-owner respondents and 23.9 percent of spa owners.
- 8.3 percent of non-owners would go to the gym, while only 5.9 percent of owners selected this option.
The value of a hot tub as a way for families to bond and communicate is also significant. While 23 percent of non-owners cite “family-time” as an important way they use their hot tubs, more than 42 percent of actual owners state they use their spa for this purpose. When asked with whom owners would choose to hot tub, a spouse was the most popular option receiving more than 60.5 percent of responses. Hot tubbing with their children was the second most frequently selected response among owners at 21.4 percent.
“This survey data shows that hot tub users view their hot tub as an important, regular component of their wellness routines,” stated Kacy Rivers, Hot Spring brand manager. “Our survey also reveals that if you own a personal spa, it is getting frequent use, much more use than non-owning consumers would guess.”
Other interesting findings from the survey include:
- While an overwhelming number of respondents consider hot tubbing a social experience, 14.8 percent of owners state that they prefer to hot tub by themselves as it’s their “alone time.”
- 16.7 percent of owners use their hot tub four or more times per week.
- Almost nine percent (8.9 percent) of owners hot tub daily.
Hot Spring spas with advanced options, including the ACE Salt Water hot tub sanitizing solution, are sold through a national network of independent dealers. To learn more about Hot Spring hot tubs, visit http://www.hotspring.com. Read hot tub reviews and some of the best hot tub experiences from Hot Spring owners here: Hot Spring Reviews. To find a local dealer, please visit: Find A Hot Spring Dealer.
About Hot Spring
Hot Spring Spas is the world’s leading brand of hot tubs and is sold through a network of more than 700 independent dealers throughout North America and 70 countries around the world. Hot Spring Spas provide customers with the highest level of quality, innovation, energy-efficiency and customer support. Hot Spring Spas are manufactured by Watkins Manufacturing Corporation, a division of Masco Corporation, a Fortune 500 company whose products include such trusted brands as Delta® faucets, KraftMaid® cabinets and Behr® paints. Visit HotSpring.com for more information and dealer locations.