Skip to main content

Are Hot Tubs Covered by Health Insurance?

Whether you suffer from intermittent aches or chronic pain, you might be wondering, Are hot tubs covered by health insurance? The answer depends on a few things: your health insurance company, your specific health insurance policy, and the treatment plan prescribed by your doctor.

A hot tub may be covered by your insurance company if your doctor has prescribed spa hydrotherapy as treatment for a specific medical condition. When filing your claim, be sure to include all relevant medical documentation, such as x-rays, MRI results, and other test results that support your doctor’s diagnosis.

Be aware, however, even with a prescription and thorough documentation, your claim may be rejected because some policies specifically exclude hot tub coverage. Many health insurance companies deem home spas personal care equipment not necessary medical equipment. As a matter of recourse, you can always consider changing providers or coverage. A new insurance provider or policy might cover your hot tub. Before taking that step, though, you'll want to evaluate the cost of a new policy and also consider the many benefits of hot tub ownership. The costs of owning a hot tub may outweigh the cost of changing policies. Also consider any waiting period that might be involved in new coverage.

If you were injured as the result of the actions of another person or entity, such as a business, the insurance company of the party at fault may cover the cost of prescribed hot tub therapy. If you were injured in an automobile accident and are seeking coverage for doctor-prescribed therapy from the party at fault, consult your lawyer for advice. If the other party’s auto insurance company denies your claim, your own auto insurance policy might cover treatment.

Disclaimer: This information should not be construed as medical or legal advice. For advice on which treatment may be best for your condition consult a licensed medical professional. For advice concerning insurance claims, consult a licensed attorney.